Why Study in Australia?
Study in Australia! Here’s why-
- Australia ranks third in the list of most popular countries in the world for international students with a University system ranking of 9.
- With 22,000 courses in over 1,100 institutions, Australia offers a plethora of opportunities and options across all streams.
- Worried about financial aid? Don’t be. The Australian government estimates approximately $200,000,000 for international student scholarships.
- Research in Australia is a most coveted option, for it is home to some of the major discoveries of the world, including penicillin, black box, Wi-Fi, IVF technology, and the Cervical Cancer vaccine. Who knows, your innovation could be next!
- The Australian education system is recognized worldwide for its quality education, stellar faculty, impressive course curriculum, and diversity in academics. This is why study in Australia is most sought after.
- The expenses of living and tuition in Australia are comparatively and conspicuously lower than that of the United Kingdom or the United States. International students can conveniently work part-time as they study, which assists in the cost factors.
- It is a well-known fact that Australians are the most friendly and cooperative people to be around. With wide, open, and beautiful expanses and warm and welcoming hosts, Australia has grown to be a popular country for travel and education both.
- As an international student, you would wish to work abroad after investing your resources in international education. Australia is a wonderful place to be in, if you seek good opportunities for work after graduation. Study in Australia has another excellent advantage: the recent changes in governmental policies have made it much easier for international students to gain professional experience.
Education System in Australia
What’s it like to study in Australia?
- Primary and secondary schools: This is equivalent to the 10+2 education in India. Certification at the end of schooling is by continuous assessment within the schools or by a combination of internal assessment and public examinations. These procedures form the basis of qualification for entry to universities or other tertiary institutions.
- Foundation Studies: Foundation studies give international students the knowledge and skills necessary for a smooth transition from the learning in their home country to undergraduate studies in Australian universities. Foundation Studies last for one year in duration and are divided into various streams like Arts and Science. Most universities allocate a provisional place in an undergraduate course for a student who achieves the prescribed grades in the foundation course.
- English Language Schools (ELICOS): These are specifically for students who come to Australia to study English. The Australian system of English language training is known as English Language Intensive Courses for Overseas Students (ELICOS). There are a range of courses for this, including General English, English for Special Purposes, Vacation Courses, and Examination Preparation. The courses are fairly frequent and they generally run for a period of 4 to 10 weeks. Many universities and TAFE institutes have ELICOS centres within their campuses.
- Vocational Education and Training Institutes: Vocational education and training (VET) gives students practical skills for their careers. The VET sector is divided into two sections: a nationally-recognized government system of Technical and Further Education (TAFE) and private providers. TAFE is the largest provider of tertiary education courses in Australia with about 250 institutes and over a million students including about 41,000 international students. The awards in VET sector are: certificates, advanced certificates, associate diplomas, and diplomas. Studying at TAFE level is also a way of gaining entry – termed a pathway – to Australia’s universities. Most TAFE institutes have arrangements with specific universities, enabling students to gain credit for a portion of their study undertaken at TAFE. The VET courses include computing, design, pilot training, business management, hospitality and tourism amongst various others.
- Universities: There are 40 public universities, two international universities, and one private specialty university in Australia that offer both undergraduate and postgraduate program across diverse fields of Business, Administration and Economics, Science, Arts, Humanities, and Social Sciences. You stand to gain the following degrees and diplomas- Undergraduate: Bachelor’s Degrees, Bachelor’s Degrees (with Honours), Undergraduate Diplomas, Associate Diplomas; Postgraduate: Doctoral Degrees, Master’s Degrees, Graduate Diplomas, and Graduate Certificates.
Universities and Colleges
- Australian National University
- University of Canberra
- Australian Catholic University
- Charles Sturt University
- Macquarie University
- Southern Cross University
- University of New England
- University of New South Wales
- University of Newcastle
- University of Sydney
- University of Technology, Sydney
- Western Sydney University
- University of Wollongong
- Charles Darwin University
- Bond University
- CQ University
- Federation University of Australia
- Griffith University
- James Cook University
- Queensland University of Technology
- University of Queensland
- University of Southern Queensland
- University of the Sunshine Coast
- Carnegie Mellon University
- Flinders University
- Torrens University Australia
- University College London
- University of Adelaide
- University of South Australia
- University of Tasmania
- Deakin University
- Federation University of Australia
- La Trobe University
- Monash University
- RMIT University
- Swinburne University of Technology
- University of Divinity
- University of Melbourne
- Victoria University
- Curtin University
- Edith Cowan University
- Murdoch University
- University of Notre Dame Australia
- University of Western Australia
Our Australia Students
Niharika Ma’am was very helpful in early sphere of the application process and was very patient with me. She refine my interviewing skills gave me the confidence in my communication skills to help me better prepare for the college interview sessions. The way application was made, made me bag not one but two IVY League Universities. KUDOS!! to Niharika ma`am & Ednet team!!
Ednet has been instrumental in getting me into my dream school. Through Niharika Ma’am guidance, I was able to present myself in a completely new light, highlighting my strengths and ideas in the best possible manner. Everyone at Ednet is extremely approachable. I was able to improve my essays and create a better image.
Niharika ma'am, you have been a true guidance and support throughout the year. Thankful for all the efforts made by you and the Ednet team. And Reena ma'am thank you for always motivating me.
Before I came to Ednet, I never thought I could get into Swan. I had limited my potential to much lower colleges. But its only with the hard work put from everyone`s side that I could
Ednet is not like a usual consultancy organization for me. Everyone here really spent a lot of their time on everyone`s applications. Niharika ma’am and everyone at Ednet at times went out of the way to help me. From reaching out to them at midnight to sitting at the office whole day, I realise what an important role Ednet played in my application process. I am glad I came here.
I have been working with ednet consultants for the last three years and they have helped me in every stage of the application process. Niharika ma’am, the head counselor helped me channelize my thoughts and make a decision regarding which universities to apply to. She also helped in drafting a plan to achieve my objectives. Following this the admissions department enlists all the requirements and activities to be done. The editorial department plays a great role in brainstorming and helping us write the essays. Overall, ednet consultants has been a major player in getting me admission into a respected university like NYU.
Thank you so much! I know you’ve worked really hard on each of my applications, especially this one. You’ve edited all my essays so beautifully and read each of my thoughts I penned down even if they made no sense at all. If Reena ma’am, Betsy ma’am and Gayatri ma’am hadn’t constantly been after me, I might not have been able to meet a single deadline. I have been with them for just a year but still feel more connected to them than I do to any of my teachers in school.Their efforts were so genuine and they always managed to make me smile.Thank you ma’am for always being there for me, motivating me and supporting me. I first came to you in class 10 for my subjects after which I visited many counsellors for my college applications. Ma’am no one could guide me the way you and your team could and so I came back to you. You helped me start my high school journey and end it too. Thank you so much ma’am for caring for me like your own child. Thank You.
My experience at Ednet was absolutely amazing. I was guided at every step of the way. I always felt comfortable while applying to one of the top universities and I think I have got through the top universities only because of the impeccable professionalism of the consultants at Ednet.
The entire team of Ednet is very helpful and I thank them for helping me at every juncture of the admission process. Special thanks to Reena ma'am for help in filling admission forms and overall guidance and support.
Putting together an application to business school is a daunting task. Niharika was instrumental in guiding me through the entire process and helping me prioritize. What I had been lacking was a sound second opinion on my essays. In addition to discussing my essay thoughts at length, Niharika would go through them with sincerity and provide a constructive critique. I greatly appreciate Niharika’s time, commitment, and accessibility.
EdNet Career Aptitude Test
Our proprietary, expertly constructed Career Test helps analyse your strengths and shortcomings, and recognizes the best career options for you. This self-analysis helps in determining the right course, in the right school, and in the right country.
Our internationally recognised counselors have over 100 years of combined experience, who have a 100% success rate for more than 2,500 students over the past 15 years.
Higher Acceptance Rates
Our transparent and vigorous procedure involves multiple checkpoints throughout your application session, with quality assurance and guaranteed results. We value your time, energy, and effort – which is why our work is always immaculate and pertinent. This means that we will ensure your hard work bears fruit.
A Passionate and Driven Team
The team of EdNet is well-known in our industry to be highly passionate and committed towards each student. Our team possesses the best of talent, knowledge, and skill-set. You will be in good hands.
We realise that each student is unique and so is his/her potential, passion,skills, and ambitions. Our target is clear – to lead you to the school best fit for you. Our services are thus custom-made, dynamic, and streamlined.
When you join the EdNet family, you become a member of our organization. We have garnered an impeccable reputation for providing the finest personalized services to students across the nation! Our team works tirelessly round the clock to make sure that each college application is unique, and that we showcase your strongest attributes to your dream school.
Our Tested and Trusted 8-Step Process
EdNet’s Proprietary Career Assessment Test
We help you identify your strengths and shortcomings and come up with tailor-made career options, best-suited for you!
Our unbiased and adroit counseling ensures that we find the best universities and courses for you, basis your aptitude, course eligibility criterion, and ascope for the most rewarding experiences.
Plan of Action/Goal Setting
A customized planner is crafted by our team for each student, with deadlines and composition requirements for each step of the application process. This gives our students ample time to prepare a comprehensive and error-free application.
Create Your Unique Story
We work diligently with you to help you realize your career goals. Together, we create a clear roadmap that creatively documents and showcases your aspirations and aptitude.
Our proficient administration team relentlessly scrutinizes and reviews your application and ensures that a fool proof and accurate application reaches your dream school, well in time!
We’ll guide you and put you through a series of Mock Interviews to give you a real taste on how to crack your interviews. Our procedure and questions have been crystallized with years of experience through discussions with top alumni of diverse universities.
Forms, documents, visa, interviews – Relax! We are with you in every way right until you fly off to your dream school.
We provide our students with an interactive and thorough pre-departure counselling to familiarize them with what lies ahead – campus life, cultural integrations in a new country, educational policies, and what to expect from the journey ahead.
Frequently Asked Questions
Apart from the English language requirements, there are two points that need to be taken into consideration before applying for admission:
- 12 year qualification and equivalent:
The Australian Universities recognize a wide range of secondary school certificates from other countries as being equivalent to the Australian 12 year education. For example, Australia recognizes the successful completion of 10+2 in India as a legitimate equivalent system of education.
- Pre requisite subjects:
Some course such as Bachelor of Commerce might require pre-requisites of certain subjects like Mathematics. Depending upon the course you apply, it is important to find out the pre requisite subjects for that course.
Most of the Australian Universities accept the Indian graduation system of 3 years for entry into their Post-graduate courses as a viable option to study in Australia. However, a regular degree such as BCom, BSc or B.A. is equivalent to an Australian Bachelor’s (Ordinary) degree. The Honours degree in India is equivalent to an Australian Bachelor’s Degree.
To study in Australia, the following documents are required:
- Academic records (X and XII class)
- Certificates of other accomplishments
- English Proficiency certification
- Statement of Purpose (SOP)
To study in Australia, the following documents are required for the postgraduate degree:
- Academic records
- Standardized test certifications
- Work history record
- Letters of recommendation
- Statement of purpose (SOP)
- Research proposal (for research programs only)
For most courses and Universities in Australia, international students are required to take the IELTS (International English Language Test). All students have to demonstrate a minimum level of proficiency, measured by an IELTS overall band score of at least 6.0, except those enrolling for a Diploma course (VET) in which case 5.5 is acceptable.
TOEFL is conducted by ETS. Most Universities accept scores of TOEFL. However it is always better to enquire from the University if TOEFL scores are accepted.
Some Universities waive off the requirement of a IELTS and TOEFL score if you can get a letter from your institution that states that you have been studying in an English Medium educational institution throughout to convince the authorities that you are proficient in English.
GMAT (Graduate Management Admission test) is required by most Universities for a Management course. Also, most Australian Universities do not require GRE tests. However, it is advisable to enclose a copy of your score sheet if you have done well in the test.
A number of professional and vocational courses require relevant work experience. For Instance, many MBAs or Master’s courses in Information Studies require a couple of years of work experience. It is advisable to check all requirements specific to your desired college.
Since the Indian degrees are recognized in Australia, credit transfers are possible. The students however are required to submit their course syllabus to the institution they wish to apply in. Credit transfers can take a minimum of 6 months to be approved.
Technical and Further Education (TAFE) courses are vocational and job oriented for higher study in Australia. Diploma and advanced diplomas in Hospitality, Multimedia, Aviation, Fashion, and Automobiles and so on are offered. Alternatively, after completion of the Diploma, one can apply directly into a Bachelors program at a university in Australia.
The first step to visa process is the Pre Visa Assessment (PVA). A student will need PVA approval before taking a medical exam, paying tuition fees or receiving an electronic transfer of enrolment.
You will have to provide documentary evidence of having cash assets held for at least 6 months prior to the pre-visa application date.
It is not difficult to obtain your student visa if you show substantial proof of:
- Financial ability
- Evidence of Enrollment
- Medical fitness
There is a wide range of student accommodation available in Australia. These include University Halls of Residence, University apartments for Postgraduate students, and privately rented independent housing. Students can also arrange a ‘Home Stay’ with a local family during their course of study in Australia. Once you get admission, the University’s international office would help you find suitable accommodation.
It is a requirement of the Australian Government that international students register for the Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) before coming to Australia. OSHC helps pay for medical and hospital care you may need while in Australia.
Any person who intends to undertake full-time study in a registered course in Australia needs to acquire a Student Visa. A Student Visa permits the holder to enter and remain in Australia for the duration of the registered course of study.
Study in Australia entails a two-step visa process:
- Electronic confirmation of enrolment (eCOE)
- Pre Visa Assessment (PVA)
Pre-visa application is assessed based on the following criteria:
- Evidence of Enrollment
One of the important requirements for a student visa application is that you have confirmation of acceptance from a government registered Australian education institution. This is verified by the advice of acceptance from the Australian institution (commonly known as Letter of Offer), which is issued to a student who has been offered enrolment in a full-time course. You should not pay any part of the course tuition fee prior to the outcome of the PVA.
- Financial ability
Sponsor/s will have to provide documentary evidence of having cash assets (liquid assets such as savings and fixed deposits in banks) held for at least 6 months prior to the pre-visa application date. For school applicants, banks should display proof of funds 3 months prior to the pre-visa application date.
Sponsor/s could be the applicant, parents, grandparents, or spouse. Relatives like brother /sister/uncle/aunt/cousin/family friend are not applicable. School applicants have no restriction on sponsor/s.
For Master’s and Doctorate Courses: Sponsors must provide evidence of cash assets for the first year tuition fee (as on the letter of offer) and living expenses (assumed at A$ 12000 p.a.) and access to additional funds (from acceptable sources) to meet the cost of study and stay in Australia. Commercial loans from banks as well as government loans are acceptable. If the applicant holds a partial scholarship from an Australian institution or an institution in India (for instance, financial aid from educational trusts), funds to cover the remaining costs must be provided as prescribed above.
Private corporate sponsorship is acceptable subject to certain conditions. However, if the company is a family owned business and if one/both parents are directors/partners, it is treated as a parent sponsor.
Students with Dependents (Spouse/Children): Costs could be expected to increase by at least 35% if the student has a spouse, a further 20% (plus $ 8000 p.a. for school fees if the child is 5 years or older) if the student has one child, a further 15% for each additional child plus school fees. The above amounts apply irrespective of whether they will accompany the applicant. Individual return travel costs can add up to Rs. 50,000 approx.
For Vocational Education and Training (VET), TAFE, Higher Education and school courses: Sponsors must provide evidence of cash assets covering tuition fee and living expenses for the entire duration of the proposed and pre-requisite course (including foundation/ELICOS/Bridging program that precedes the main course).
All students have to demonstrate a minimum level of proficiency, measured by an IELTS score of 6.0 minimum, except those enrolling for a Diploma course (VET) in which case 5.5 is acceptable.
The student must be able to prove personal and financial commitments and stability at all times. A visa officer will assess the individual’s current circumstances and if the student is a defaulter then they will be asked to return to their home country.
Other Relevant matters
- Immigration links with Australia
- Usefulness of course for career development
- Satisfactory completion of year 12/relevant undergraduate degree or equivalent
- Strong links have to be established between past academic/work background and study goals
- Guardianship arrangements (if an applicant is under 18 at the time of PVA application)
For the PVA requirements, you will be asked to undergo further processing. This includes payment of course tuition fee to the Australian educational institution and a medical examination. It is essential that the student and the accompanying dependent(s) meet the Australian health requirements before a visa is granted. This involves a medical check and an x-ray for applicants over 16. Applicants will need to present an original valid passport to identify themselves to the doctor and radiologist. In some cases, medical results will be communicated to the Australian embassy. As this process takes 3 – 4 weeks, this could cause a delay in the application process.
Total processing time
As a rule, applicants should allow 4-6 weeks for processing an application. Reasons for delay in processing are:
- Medical referral to Australia and the need for any subsequent medical test
- Document verification including educational documents, employment references, and bank statements
- Applications that are incomplete
It is compulsory for all international students to have Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for themselves and their dependents. The premium for OSHC is to be paid once the PVA requirements have been met. The current premiums for OSHC are AUD 274 for a single person and AIJD54S for a whole family.
Re-entry into Australia
All student visas have a multiple entry facility for the full period of the visa. Students who plan to travel in and out to Australia at any time during their course are advised to check if their visa is valid for return to Australia.